April 17th , 2013 22:46 pm 5 Comments

More charges for Hampton Elementary teacher

By

Hampton Elementary teacher Kelly Smith faces additional charges after the Carter County Sheriff’s Department says another former student came forward claiming a relationship with the 30-year-old social studies instructor.

Kelly Smith

Kelly Smith

Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes said Wednesday night that Smith was again arrested earlier in the day and charged with statutory rape.

Mathes said a former student of Smith’s, now 16 years old, told investigators that she and Smith had sexual intercourse in December of 2012.

The sheriff said evidence collected during a search of Smith’s home corroborates the juvenile’s story and investigators believe the relationship dates back to when the girl was in Smith’s sixth-grade class.

Investigators also found an SKS rifle during their search that Mathes said was reported stolen from Knoxville.

This is Smith’s second arrest in a week, the first on the charges of¬†solicitation of a person under 18 years of age and solicitation of a minor to observe sexual conduct after sheriff’s department officers said a 13-year-old student’s mother reported hundreds of sexually explicit messages and images sent to her daughter over the course of a month.

Smith has been suspended without pay from his teaching job since February after being charged with second-offense DUI by Elizabethton Police Department officers.

He was booked into the Carter County Jail on the new charges Wednesday and placed under a $20,000 bond.

He was released on a $10,000 bond for the solicitation charges last Friday, but Mathes was unsure if he was released as of Wednesday night.

He is scheduled to appear in Carter County General Sessions Court on June 3.

Comments

5 Responses to More charges for Hampton Elementary teacher

  1. Jesus Jones says:

    He’s STILL suspended?! I want to see the words “fired” and “former” in this article!!!!

  2. this man shoud be put in person and never get out

  3. disqus_dRc7nvPLpo says:

    Even though this is terrible and unacceptable
    we still have a thing called innocent till proven guilty.

  4. robert szabo says:

    All I can say is that he is lucky that someone doesn’t blow him away,because if it would have been my kids ,there would have been a funeral arrangements posted in the press instead.

  5. robert szabo says:

    @disqus_dRc7nvPLpo,I understand what your saying but come on, 2 kids identified his body ,pictures on the kids phone of his private parts..Thats just perverted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

share Facebook Twitter

Switch to our mobile site