‘Glee’ actor died from overdose of heroin, alcohol

10:49 pm | July 16, 2013

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — “Glee” actor Cory Monteith, who had struggled for years with substance abuse and once said he was lucky to be alive, died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol, the British Columbia coroner’s office said Tuesday.

“There is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith’s death was anything other than a most tragic accident,” the office said in a statement.

The 31-year-old was found dead in his Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room on Saturday after he didn’t check out on time. He was believed to be alone when he died. Hotel video and electronic records indicate he returned to his room by himself early Saturday.

At a briefing Tuesday afternoon, police said they believe Monteith had been dead for several hours before he was found. They said the coroner’s report didn’t indicate the levels of heroin or alcohol in his system. They ruled out foul play.

Elizabethton Star back open navigation

Switch to our desktop site