Church of the Week: Phillippi Baptist Church10:54 am | July 20, 2012
Phillippi Baptist Church traces its roots back to 1867 when Rev. Horace Leftwich, a former slave, founded the Elizabethton Colored Baptist Church. It was one of the original churches that established the Watauga Baptist Association. The name was changed to Phillippi Baptist in 1869. The congregation re-located to the south side of town following the May flood of 1901. The church is located at 200 East M St. Rev. Joseph Hollifield is pastor.