Blood drives slated for region2:59 pm | May 3, 2013
Wellmont Health System’s Marsh Regional Blood Center will conduct public blood drives in the coming days. Local drives will be held:
• Monday, May 6, 3 to 7 p.m., Walmart, Elizabethton.
• Tuesday, May 7, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Happy Valley High School, Elizabethton.
• Wednesday, May 8, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., National Guard Armory, Erwin.
• Wednesday, May 8, 1 to 4 p.m., Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol.
• Wednesday, May 8, 3 to 7 p.m., Cherokee United Methodist Church, Johnson City.
• Friday, May 10, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Lowe’s, Johnson City.
• Saturday, May 11, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Appalachian Fairgrounds, Gray.
As many as three lives may be saved each time a person donates blood — and an individual’s blood donation to Marsh Regional stays local to help people in this region. Marsh Regional supplies blood to 22 healthcare facilities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Donors with an O-negative blood type are particularly welcome, as their blood can be used for any patient.
To donate blood, individuals must be at least 17 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good health. People with a cold, sore throat, fever, flu or fever blisters or who are taking antibiotics may not donate. Donors should eat a balanced meal before giving blood.
In addition to scheduled blood drives, donors are welcome at any of Marsh Regional’s collection centers: 102 E. Ravine Road, Kingsport; 1996 W. State St., Bristol; and 1 Professional Park Blvd., Suite 14, Johnson City.
For more information about scheduling a blood drive at a local business, church, school or community organization, call 224-5888 or visit www.marshblood.com.